Friday, September 3, 2010

Overwhelmed....In A "God-Thing" Way

August 11, 2010

Today was the day....the day we would lay our baby to rest. What just happened the last few days? How were we going to make it through the service?

Leightyn's service was at 10:00 at Rye Hill Baptist Church. Of course, I arrived at 9:00 in full panic mode. Did the power point work? Were the pictures going to look right on the screen? Did the praise music make it back from the funeral home? Were the pictures set up for people to look at? Did all the guys get a hair bow to wear on the shirts? Did more pages get added to the books? And so one.....

At 9:00, there were already people sitting in the sanctuary. Who comes to a funeral an hour early? At 9:30, the sanctuary was filling up. At 10:00 it was standing room only. Different people have estimated that over 550 people attended the funeral. WHAT?!?!?! 550 people came to same good-bye to my girl! I was overwhelmed when I walked in. Not necessary with emotions of dread but with emotions of "oh my! look at how many people came out to support us"!

The service began with the song "I Still Believe". As the song played, Landen and I sang out as a prayer to God. "

Scattered words and empty thoughts
Seem to pour from my heart
I've never felt so torn before
Seems I don't know where to start
But its now that I feel your grace fall like rain
From every fingertip washing away my pain

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe

Though the questions still fog up my mind
With promises I still seem to bear
Even when answers slowly unwind
It's my heart I see you prepare
But its now, that I feel, your grace fall like rain
From every fingertip washing away my pain

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe

Well the only place I can go is into your arms
Where I throw to you my feeble prayers well in brokenness
I can see that this was your will for me
Help me to know that you are near

I still believe in your faithfulness
I still believe in your truth
I still believe in your holy word
Even when I don't see, I still believe


Bro Dale (our children's minister) stood and read Leightyn's obituary. He shared his last moments with Leightyn. It was the Sunday night (just a week and a half earlier). The kiddos had gone to get their snack. Leightyn stayed back to play with a Mr. Potato Head. Bro. Dale sat in the floor and made silly potatoes with Lei Lei. I'm thankful that he got a few minutes alone with her.

"Tuncle" Lloyd stood up to share how Lei changed his life. I will never forget how he said "this little five year old had more faith in God than I do". Lloyd shared how Leightyn was excited to start school. She told Lloyd that daddy told her to pray every day before she ate her food. Leightyn told us that she was going to pray and she didn't care if people made fun of her.


We showed a 20 minute slide show of Leightyn through the years. As I watched each picture flash across the screen, I was instantly taken back to that exact moment. She was so happy. Leightyn was so healthy. She loved life and lived it to the fullest. How did we go from all the happy moments in life to such a drastic life change in a matter of hours????

Our next song choice was "Praise You In This Storm" by Casting Crowns. I love this song. This song described exactly how Landen and I felt all weekend, at that very moment, and still to this day.

I was sure by now
God you would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as You mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I’ll praise You in this storm
And I will life my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I’ve cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can’t find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
“I’m with you”
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth

Bro. Mike stood and talked about Leightyn. He talked about how we chose to glorify God through this situation. Bro Mike also gave advice (from a Biblical perspective) of where to go from here. He went through the plan of salvation and then asked everyone to close their eyes. Bro. Mike went through the sinners prayer. After the prayer, he asked people to raise their if they had prayed the prayer with him. Bro. Mike asked that people keep their hands up so that he could get a count.

1 hand

2 3 hands

4 hands (I was so happy!)

5 6 7 8 9 10 hands (what?!?!?!)

11 12 13 14 15 hands (I was in tears, Landen was in tears, Bro. Mike was in tears)

16 17 18 19 20 hands (I'm feeling very overwhelmed at this point)

21 hands (Bro Mike is crying so hard that he can't continue to count)

21 people! What! 21 people came to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior at Leightyn's funeral. Praise God! As my dad said, "who comes to a funeral to get saved....let alone 21".

Bro. Mike ended his part with one of Leightyn's prayers. She had the sweetest prayers. It is something that I miss hearing daily.

"Dear God, thank you for this day. Thank you for mommy, and daddy, and Mylea. I love them beary much. Thank you for dying on the cross. In Jesus' Name, Amen!"

What a God-Thing we just experienced!

1 comment:

  1. "Who comes to a funeral to get saved?" That made me giggle.. so true though, we don't think of funerals that way. You guys are awesome, and your family is awesome, and your church family and your friends are awesome. You're all part of something so big, as much as Lei is.

    All I have to say is *P R A I S E * G O D*

    ReplyDelete